• Barb

WordPress and Alternative Website Building Platforms

WordPress has been the choice website building platform by many website designers who create and design websites for their clients for many years. In fact, 30% of the websites we see on the Internet were created and designed in WordPress, leading to the question what platforms are used to create and design the other 70% of websites?

Alternatives to WordPress are Dreamweaver, Joomla, and Drupal.

In my research, one source claims that Joomla has become one of the most popular website software, especially it is one of the three most popular content management systems on the web next to WordPress and Drupal.

Drupal is a free open source content management framework written in PHP. It is the website platform for 2.3% of the websites we see on the Internet. Drupal is noted for being the most technical and the most powerful and requires the most skill to use to its full potential.

Dreamweaver is an Adobe product and is an HTML editor. Quora.com describes Dreamweaver as a platform that is used to edit HTML, PHP, Javascript, CSS and related files and is considered to be a WYSIWYG editor, though what you see in the program is not always an exact match to what you would see on a live page.

As I researched further on the best website building platforms, the following were also noted:

Wix is rated as the top drag and drop responsive, mobile-friendly website design platform. With over 100 million websites world-wide designed on Wix, it is highlighted as the fastest growing content management system and website building platform in the world. Offering over 500 professionally developed templates for different industry categories, Wix is cloud-based and noted as the most innovative in providing the best design collection among drag and drop website builders among its competitors.

Weebly is noted as a popular website builder worldwide. Over 40 million websites have been created in Weebly. Weebly is a widget-based drag and drop site builder. User-friendly, Weebly offers several template designs that are all responsive and mobile friendly. Simple, uncluttered and easy-to-use, Weebly allows people to make a pleasing website even if they have limited technical skills.

Squarespace is a content management system integrated website builder, blogging platform, and commerce platform. Squarespace is also powered by cloud tools such as Dropbox and Amazon web services. In my research, unfortunately I couldn’t find a lot of information about Squarespace and possible number of users world-wide.

The drag and drop website builders provide website design for a beautiful, impressive website comparable to websites designed in WordPress and its competitors. They offer several apps, equivalent to WordPress plug-ins, that can help add special features to websites that make the website very functional and user-friendly.

Some platforms offer more features and different plans to meet your needs for the type of website you want while other platforms are very limited as to what features can be added to websites. Basic websites on drag and drop website building platforms are free which allows them to advertise on your site.

The following chart found on www.webcreate.io lists the best online website building platforms: https://www.webcreate.io/website-builders-comparison-lp/?edgetrackerid=100219191415311&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvabPBRD5ARIsAIwFXBmWnLnwxx57b0H67qHzn-ZnVdlBSM8wQ-IiAGnMRnsBANJdoUOWtVgaAgQrEALw_wcB

Whether I have created and designed a website in WordPress or Wix or Weebly or Squarespace, most people really can’t tell the difference. At the end of the day, when I build a website for my clients they get an impressive, responsive, mobile-friendly website that they are proud of.

If you are starting a new business and need a new website or already have a website but want a new one, My Essential Office Assistant can create and design a website according to your requirements. Businesses, photographers, arts, restaurants – we have experience creating and design websites in various categories. Contact us for a free 1-hour consultation.

14 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

© 2021 Copyright,

Dynamic Website Design & Marketing

All rights reserved.  

Located in the Greater Toronto Area, Ontario, Canada.




Powered by Wix

  • Facebook - White Circle
  • LinkedIn - White Circle
  • Twitter - White Circle